Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Pincushion


So here's the story....I was kicking through the re-use section of the dump (it was a Monday - the recycle section is always full on Mondays because everybody that had a garage sale that weekend takes the rest of their stuff that didn't sell to thee dump)
Well, I found myself a sad little picture frame....it was actually a framed shaddered glass mirror. I forgot to take a photo of it before I disposed of the broken mirror....when you have little ones you don't like keeping that sort around for very long.
Here he is.......
I let the the frame sit around for awhile until I could figure out what I wanted to do with him.
First I decided to paint the little guy white.

Materials you will need to make a photo frame pincushion
*Photo frame - mine had a diameter of about 6"
*fabric, old knit sweat shirt, felt, old embroidered hanky...whatever you want!
*Scissors
*Fiberfill

I used an old knit sweater that had some really cute embroidery

Lay your victim out and plan your attack - I would suggest cutting more than what you will need (better too much than too little). You can always trim the excess when your finished.

Here's a photo of all the supplies I used

Now put it all together (Layers named from front to back: Picture Frame, Knit sweater fabric, fluff, cardboard backing)
My picture frame had little bendy wire you fold up and down to secure the backing down.

Trim excess and your finished - you may want to glue some of the fabric to the backing for extra secure-age....your choice.
Once I get my craft space all put together I think I'm going to hang this on the wall close by ( :

9 comments:

  1. Absolutely adoring. I don't know where you get the time to do all these wonderful easy projects with three little ones and all, but praise the Lord, you do. Your Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! This would make a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I would have NEVER thought of that when I saw the picture frame! You are soo creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! That is such a great idea and looks fantastic! I just discovered your blog via ReadyMade. It's gorgeous here! I would love to link to this tutorial if you didn't mind. Off to explore the rest of your beautiful blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty. Saw you over at One Pretty Thing. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it! now I just need to find an adorable frame...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found you through One Pretty Thing. This is beyond cute! I love the idea and I hope to make one just as soon as I can find an awesome frame like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also found you via One Pretty Thing. This is such a cute idea! I would have never thought of it. I like the shape of the frame, as well.

    -- Gabby, the Nonchalant Girl
    (nonchalantgirl.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not from one pretty thing (But I've been trying to remember the name of that site for a month now after I lost all my bookmarks!). I came through crochet pattern of the day linking to your naked branch, about half an hour ago. So much eye candy, I love your blog! Good luck with your Etsy party today! Hope you let us all know how it goes, with some scrumptious pictures, of course.

    ReplyDelete