Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Needle Felting and Crochet

Needle Felting and crochet make a great team!
I love to crochet and I love to embellish what I crochet but embroidery is really not my favorite thing to do.

I started needle felting on my little crocheted items and I love it! It's so EASY and so fun! Yes, you should try it.
You don't have to know how to crochet to do this..you can needle felt on an old sweater or hat too.

Materials:
*Something you've crocheted or something that you bought crocheted/knitted
Example: a knit hat or sweater you'd like to give more life to.
*Wool Roving  (I bought most of mine from therainbowroom on etsy)
*Some felting needles - I got mine at my local JoAnns Craft Store
*Foam or brush pad - if you are going to needle felt on a hat or sweater you'll want to place the area your going to needle felt onto a foam or bush pad to catch the needle.

My photos show me needle felting on a plush toy so I do not need a foam/brush pad.

Take a little bit of Roving and your felting needle -
I've found that a little bit of roving goes a long way.

Now just start stabbing the felt into your material into the shape you want. keep stabbing it until you get your desired outcome - It really is that EASY - If you don't feel that you have the artistic eye to make a nice shape then you can try using stencils.
  stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, stab

 here is some other stuff I've needle felted on in the past....

Hope you've been inspired and you'll go try it yourself

Peace, love and pogo sticks,
Tara